August 27th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
A good episode this time, if a little meandering. The episode is slowly reaching its milestone.
The news items for the week include:
- Nintendo patents new hardware, doesn’t include a disc drive
- VS. Excitebike coming to Nintendo’s Virtual Console
- Nintendo increasingly considering movies
- 2DS dropping to $100
- Darkest Dungeon adds option to turn off controversial features
Check us on twitter: Jonah Falcon is @jonahfalcon, Paul Nowak is @stagermonkey, and Scott Dirk is @alphashard.
Tags: 3DS · Episode · Industry News · Nintendo · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes
August 20th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
This week’s episode is very long to make up for the crappiness of last week’s episode, and the crew have fun with the trolling of Target critics this past week.
The news this week includes:
- Guillermo del Toro quits videogame development
- There is no suspend feature for Steam Machines
- Gamescom sets attendance record
- Chinese console crowdfunding project manages to rip off PS4 and Xbox One
This and Listener Feedback.
Tags: Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes · Steam
August 13th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 2 Comments
No, really, this episode is one of the worst ever released – boring news, stilted dialog, bad jokes. At least the first news item allowed the crew to rip Pixels. So bad Jonah didn’t bother editing it.
The news items include:
- Anti-piracy group hits indie creators for using the word “pixels“
- Rare Replay studio’s first UK chart-topper since Banjo-Kazooie on N64 in 1998
- More Diablo is coming
- Games for Windows “wasn’t the right approach” says Microsoft
No Listener Feedback or Question of the Week either. That’s how bad this episode was.
Tags: Diablo 3 · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · piracy · Podcast · Show Notes · Xbox One
August 5th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
Paul is back from being deathly ill, and joins a half-asleep Jonah and Scott, where he and Scott try to have better timing. There’s no Gaming Flashback this week but plenty of weird news.
The list of news items include:
- Disturbing portrait of Konami corporate environment alleged
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: player choices more impactful, boss fights optional
- ZombiU drops the “U,” preps for August launch on PC, Xbox One, PS4
- Fallout 4 fan releases schematic for 3D printed Pip-Boy
- Vote to play coming soon for PS Plus members
- Hitchhiking robot is decapitated, left in a ditch
There’s a new Question of the Week that wasn’t going to be the Question – listen and find out what it is.
Tags: Episode · FPS · Industry News · PC Gaming · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes · Wii U · Xbox One
July 29th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
Paul’s not in this episode due to sickness, so it’s just Jonah and Scott, the former who berates the latter for the lack of any listener feedback. There is a Gaming Flashback this time, with the classic 80’s arcade game Pepper II.
The news includes:
- China ending restrictions on gaming console sales
- Capcom is sorry about the Street Fighter V beta
- Video gaming organization to start testing gamers for drugs
- Not even “a s—load” of Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Editions is enough for the world
The Question of the Week: “What makes a good expansion?”
Tags: capcom · Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes
July 23rd, 2015 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
Yes, it seems strange that we skipped Episode 391, but it was recorded, but some issues prevented it from being posted. Instead, it’ll come out sometime later this year. For now, Episode 392 features the debut of Scott Dirk, aka Alphashard, as a co-host. There are some audio issues, so be warned.
The news includes:
- Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata passes away at 55
- Kojima’s name removed from Metal Gear Solid V cover
- Fallout 4 is about “freedom“, not being the “best looking game,” says Bethesda
- Shenmue 3 breaks Kickstarter video game record
- Over 50% of parents worry about their children playing video games online
No Listener Feedback this week – write in!
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Kickstarter · Nintendo · Podcast · Show Notes
July 3rd, 2015 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
As Paul’s departure as a regular host is in 10 episodes, Jonah rants about the Batmobile in Batman: Arkham Knight and talks about the painlessness of Fallout Shelter‘s micro-transactions. The other part of the podcast is them talking Heroes of Might & Magic II, and discussing what makes a good expansion.
The news items include:
- Lack of female character choice in The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes explained
- Australian government bans hundreds of mobile and Web-based games
- Nintendo has no problems changing franchises, despite fan outcry
- Apple pulls games with Confederate flag imagery
All this plus Listener Feedback and Paul’s indignation.
Tags: apple · Industry News · Nintendo · Podcast · Rant · Show Notes
June 24th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
Part of this long episode was recorded live from the LA Convention Center floor at E3 2015, where Jonah and Paul were fresh off waiting in line for Disney amibos. There were some news items covered there, while a few more news items were recorded here.
Rather than list all of the news items, we’ll just relay the Question of the Week: “If Nintendo isn’t revealing a new console, should they skip E3 altogether in 2016?”
All this and listener feedback, too.
Tags: E3 · Episode · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes
June 12th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
It’s the last episode before the start of E3, which both Jonah and Paul will be attending, as Paul fantasizes about having some fancy footwear for the conference.
The abbreviated episode includes the following news:
- The $100 headset uses controversial electric shocks to make you a better gamer
- Oculus unveils final model of the Rift, due early 2016
- Xbox One exclusives Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break will skip E3 for Gamescom
Question of the Week this time is, “Do you prefer a silent or voiced protagonist?”
Tags: E3 · Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes · Xbox One
June 4th, 2015 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
This podcast was recorded on short notice, so it’s on the short side. It’s also a little dated, since the Fallout 4 news was going to be announced the next day at the recording, and the publishing is a day after it’s official reveal. There’s an actual Gaming Flashback this week, with Destroy All Humans!, which shockingly Paul never played.
The news in this podcast includes:
- Indie dev discusses where the money goes
- Fallout 4 announcement coming June 3
- New Steam refunds policy makes some devs concerned
All this and Listener Feeedback.
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes · Steam