September 19th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
This week’s episode gets a little political as certain factions get into the videogame discussion and have some interesting ideas about them, which is enough to get Paul a little angry and a lot disappointed.
This week’s news includes:
- Rust creator: “I’d have done the same thing” on Mojang deal
- Conservative group issues video lambasting gaming’s feminist critics
- Trade your violent games in for ice cream in California
- Xbox games may soon be streamed to PC
This episode also features the Question of the Week discussion about preorders and bonus content.
Tags: Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · Podcast · Show Notes · Xbox 360 · Xbox One
September 13th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
This week is slow in terms of videogame industry news, but rich on developer stories told by Paul, so be prepared for a lot of advice for the kid who wants to make games instead of just play them.
The news includes:
- Report: Microsoft to buy Mojang
- Destiny day-one shipments top $500 million
- Dan Adelman: “Good games are worth paying for”
- Video game degrees in the US increase by 50% in five years
- European Women in Games Hall of Fame adds new members
All this and Listener Feedback, with the Question of the Week: “Have you ever created your own content with a game’s editor?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · MMO · Podcast · Show Notes
September 5th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week’s Gaming Flashback is a major one, in particle for Gaming Podcast: World of Warcraft, as the WoW guild established by Derrick and Jennifer is well-remembered. For Paul, however, World of Warcraft was and is the source of some deep pain.
Along with the Gaming Flashback, this week’s news includes:
- NCsoft might allow players to resurrect the City of Heroes IP
- Sega accuses Gearbox founder of “doing whatever the f— he likes”
- Free full-version Xbox One game trials coming for Gold members
- Thousands of developers sign plea for tolerance in gaming community
- Dev on PS4?s 8GB RAM: “It didn’t really change that much for us”
All this plus Listener Feedback and the Question of the Week: “What are the strongest memories of World of Warcraft that you have?”
Tags: Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · MMO · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Sega · Show Notes · Xbox One
August 23rd, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
The podcast is back, albeit on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday. No Gaming Flashback or Gaming History, but a good chunk of news, though some of it only tenuously connected to videogaming.
The news this week includes:
- T-Mobile now offers app that unlocks your smartphone
- Analyst: Downloadable titles make up 92% of PC games market
- Driveclub was delayed due to a ‘huge technical issue,’ says Yoshida
- NHL 15 will be missing some features on Xbox One and PS4
- YouTube subscription plan leaks: Offline play, no ads, 20 million songs
This week’s Question of the Week is based on the Minecraft convention scam from last week, which the podcast discusses, “Have you even attended a convention devoted to a game?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Mobile · PC Gaming · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · Sports · Xbox One
August 8th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
The Gaming Podcast is back after three weeks of a forced hiatus as one former host has left the podcast for good. Otherwise, some of the news items are old, some are new, in this long episode.
There’s no Gaming Flashback or Gaming History, but plenty of news, including:
- Activision won’t launch an EA Access-style program anytime soon
- Disney Interactive revenue up 45% in Q3
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Yogscast: We have ‘no obligation’ to cancelled adventure game Kickstarter
- Warner Bros. nabs Space Invaders film rights
- Report: PC and console market will decline
There’s also some Listener Feedback. The Question of the Week: “Do you think consoles will start doing early access on games?”
Tags: Activision · Console Games · Episode · Industry News · Kickstarter · PC Gaming · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony
July 26th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
Gaming Podcast will be in hiatus this week and for the foreseeable future, due to personnel changes. Stay tuned for more info.
July 18th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 4 Comments
Paul Nowak is on hiatus from the podcast, but former podcaster Dan Quick is stepping in to fill his shoes. This week’s Gaming Flashback is the expansion Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
As for the news:
- Noriega suing Activision over depiction in Call of Duty
- The Sims 2 players get expansion-stuffed upgrade as EA ends support
- Codemasters responds to GRID Autosport Boost Pack criticism (from Videogamer.com)
- Ex-Call of Duty devs found brand new studio
- Adam West playing himself in Lego Batman 3
- Civilization Beyond Earth release date announced
All this and listener feedback.
Tags: Activision · Episode · FPS · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes · Simulations
July 11th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week’s podcast finally reveals the winner of the E3 Swag Bag. The episode is packed full of show, including a Gaming Flashback about Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and the Gaming History celebrating Donkey Kong‘s 33rd birthday.
The news includes:
- Another EA exec explains why mobile Dungeon Keeper suffered
- PS4 fails to inspire Japanese market
- Former Epic director Bleszinski unretires to reveal Project Bluestreak
- Divinity: Original Sin developer turned off global chat to silence trolls
- Bartle: “Free-to-play has a half-life“
All this plus the Question of the Week: “Have online players caused you to quit playing that session?”
Tags: electronic arts · Episode · Industry News · MMO · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes
July 5th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This is the final week of the E3 Swag Bag giveaway, which includes a The Sims 4 bag, a The Sims 4 T-shirt, The Sims 4 sunglasses, and some other goodies like a Dragon Age: Inquisition T-shirt, a Farming Simulation 2014 cow, and so on. Paul is unavailable this week but Jordan’s wife Jennifer guest hosts, with the famed Kingdom Hearts being the Gaming Flashback.
This episode also includes the following news items:
- Report: PS Vita no longer available at major retailers
- No women allowed at upcoming Hearthstone tournament
- Lindsay Lohan files suit over GTA V allegedly using her likeness
- Sources: Crytek UK’s staff no longer going to work
- Riot closing League Of Legends’ public chat
And once again, the Question of the Week: “What was your biggest takeaway from E3?”
Tags: Editorial · Episode · GTA · Industry News · MOBA · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony · Vita
June 27th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
The E3 Swag Bag contest is still going on, while Paul, Jordan and Jonah discuss the latest in videogame industry news.
This week’s news includes:
- Nintendo loses Wii patent lawsuit to Philips
- PlayStation Now beta gets six new games, but those high prices remain
- Crytek claims it’s doing fine, despite rumors
- Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty heading to Xbox One with ID@Xbox
- Google announces virtual reality app Cardboard
All this and Listener Feedback. The contest question is still up: “What was your biggest takeaway from E3?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Nintendo · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · xbla · Xbox One