June 20th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 6 Comments
Jonah returns from attending E3 last week, as Jordan is a sick latecomer into the podcast. Jonah and Paul relate his near-disaster loss of his iPad Air, while Jordan does his best Don LaFontaine impressions in this episode which is 50% longer than normal.
The news discussed includes:
- Hirshberg: Console transition pains not a bad problem to have
- Destiny may possibly come to Windows PC
- Nintendo’s top designer has “uneasiness” about virtual reality
- How the Xbox One’s 10% GPU increase works without Kinect
- PS4, Xbox One seeing much higher digital download attach rates
In addition to the news, there’s Listener feedback, and even better, a new contest to win an E3 Swag Bag – listen in to find out how to win (US listeners only, sorry.)
Tags: E3 · Editorial · electronic arts · Episode · FPS · Industry News · MMO · Nintendo · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · Xbox One
June 6th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
It’s the last podcast before E3 2014 starts on Monday. Jonah is still ravaged by the flu, while Paul’s ghost haunts the podcast.
The news this week includes:
- Watch Dogs sells 4 million in first week
- Xbox One getting 34 new apps
- Sony discontinues the PSP in Japan
- Take-Two CEO skeptical of Oculus’ broad appeal
All this and Listener Feedback as well as a new Question of the Week: “How much info do you try to glean from E3 reports?”
For whatever reason, the file is not working. To listen to the podcast, use this player:
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Podcast · PSP · Show Notes · Sony · ubisoft · Xbox One
May 30th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
Thanks to the influenza bug ravaging the United States right now, there’s no podcast this week. Check us next week for our pre-E3 podcast, however.
May 23rd, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 2 Comments
This week’s episode is shockingly adult, so the warning about explicit lyrics is up. Aside from the dirtiness, the episode features the following news:
- Apple refuses to allow an educational app on female stimulation
- Zenimax announces lawsuit against Oculus
- Sony may be working on newer PS4, PS3 models
- PS4 game pre-loading will begin with Destiny
- External storage coming in Xbox One system update in June
- Blizzard is suing Starcraft 2 hackers for profiting off mods
This plus Listener Feedback and the Question of the Week, “What is your favorite party game?”
Tags: apple · Blizzard · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · MMO · playstation 3 · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony · Xbox One
May 16th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
Last week’s podcast was the victim of Jonah’s ISP going down, so this week is a mix of last week’s and this week’s news, as well as a Gaming History on industry legend Nolan Bushnell.
The news includes:
- EA rumored to nearing deal to stream games via Comcast
- Nintendo responds to gay marriage petition
- $300 3D printer coming early 2015
- Kinect-free Xbox One coming June 9 for $399
- Philips sues Nintendo, seeks to halt Wii U sales in U.S.
The Question of the Week: “What is your favorite educational videogame?”
Tags: electronic arts · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · Nintendo · Podcast · Show Notes · Wii U · Xbox One
May 1st, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
In this episode, Paul arrives in time for the letters, with some audio issues on his phone.
In the meantime, Jordan and Jonah cover some of the week’s news including:
- Nintendo skipping E3 media briefing again
- E.T. cartridges unearthed in New Mexico
- Sony Online Entertainment rolls out All Access Program
- Star Wars: Episode VII cast announced
- Skype group calls now free on Xbox One & PC
- Analyst: PC gaming now brings in more money than console gaming
All this and Listener Feedback.
Tags: Episode · MMO · Nintendo · PC Gaming · Podcast · Retro · Show Notes · Xbox One
April 25th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week is a little special as Jonah, Jordan and Paul discuss some of the things that were common in the golden age of 1990’s consoles that are no longer around.
In addition, the news includes:
- King settles ‘Candy Crush Saga’ trademark disputes amicably
- Gamestop’s only female executive is fictional
- Nate Wells leaves Naughty Dog
The Question of the Week: “What gaming activities do you no longer do?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes
April 10th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week’s podcast features the Gaming Flashback of Final Fantasy VI, which takes up a third of the podcast as Paul and Jordan enthuse about the Japanese roleplaying game at length – so much so, that some news items were skipped over due to running length. Jonah prepares for his trip to PAX East 2014 for the weekend. He also proclaims Emperor Palpatine dancing in Kinect Star Wars the best thing to ever happen for Star Wars.
This week’s news includes:
- Amazon says FireTV will boost mid-market games
- Borderlands 2 Vita bundle hits on May 6, game launches May 13
- Molyneux predicts Kinect-less Xbox One
- Microsoft looking into Xbox 360 emulation through Xbox One
A lot of Listener Feedback this week, and the Question of the Week is “What mobile games have you played recently?”
Tags: Editorial · Episode · FPS · Industry News · Microsoft · Podcast · Rumors · Show Notes · Xbox One
April 3rd, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 5 Comments
Paul wasn’t able to make it for this podcast thanks to a hospital trip due to back pains, but Jordan and Jonah get into it a little themselves. They also avoid the predictable April Fool’s gags since even though the episode was recorded April 1, it wasn’t going to air until 2 days later. This week’s Gaming Flashback is Ubisoft’s first person shooter Far Cry.
The news this week includes:
- EA deletes nasty Wii U April Fools’ tweets
- Indies praise Xbox One self-publishing – but Microsoft must drop its launch parity policy
- Uncharted 4 game director leaves Naughty Dog
Also included is Listener Feedback and the Question of the Week, “What was your favorite videogame-related April Fool’s joke?”
Tags: electronic arts · Episode · FPS · Industry News · Microsoft · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony · ubisoft
March 27th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
This week’s Jonah discusses an article about ageism in Silicon Valley, while Paul complains about an achievement ruining a casual game he’d spent $200 on. This week’s Gaming Flashback is Dance Dance Revolution.
The news includes:
- Facebook acquiring Oculus for $2 billion
- Valve’s Portal coming as Tegra 4 Android App to Nvidia Shield
- Xbox One may allow loaning of digital games
- Nintendo, Sony won’t attend PAX East
All this and a little Listener Feedback, with the Question of the Week being “Do you subscribe to videogame magazines now?”
Tags: Editorial · Episode · Industry News · Microsoft · Nintendo · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony · Xbox One