August 23rd, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
The podcast is back, albeit on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday. No Gaming Flashback or Gaming History, but a good chunk of news, though some of it only tenuously connected to videogaming.
The news this week includes:
- T-Mobile now offers app that unlocks your smartphone
- Analyst: Downloadable titles make up 92% of PC games market
- Driveclub was delayed due to a ‘huge technical issue,’ says Yoshida
- NHL 15 will be missing some features on Xbox One and PS4
- YouTube subscription plan leaks: Offline play, no ads, 20 million songs
This week’s Question of the Week is based on the Minecraft convention scam from last week, which the podcast discusses, “Have you even attended a convention devoted to a game?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Mobile · PC Gaming · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · Sports · Xbox One
August 8th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
The Gaming Podcast is back after three weeks of a forced hiatus as one former host has left the podcast for good. Otherwise, some of the news items are old, some are new, in this long episode.
There’s no Gaming Flashback or Gaming History, but plenty of news, including:
- Activision won’t launch an EA Access-style program anytime soon
- Disney Interactive revenue up 45% in Q3
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Yogscast: We have ‘no obligation’ to cancelled adventure game Kickstarter
- Warner Bros. nabs Space Invaders film rights
- Report: PC and console market will decline
There’s also some Listener Feedback. The Question of the Week: “Do you think consoles will start doing early access on games?”
Tags: Activision · Console Games · Episode · Industry News · Kickstarter · PC Gaming · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony
July 26th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
Gaming Podcast will be in hiatus this week and for the foreseeable future, due to personnel changes. Stay tuned for more info.
July 18th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 4 Comments
Paul Nowak is on hiatus from the podcast, but former podcaster Dan Quick is stepping in to fill his shoes. This week’s Gaming Flashback is the expansion Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
As for the news:
- Noriega suing Activision over depiction in Call of Duty
- The Sims 2 players get expansion-stuffed upgrade as EA ends support
- Codemasters responds to GRID Autosport Boost Pack criticism (from Videogamer.com)
- Ex-Call of Duty devs found brand new studio
- Adam West playing himself in Lego Batman 3
- Civilization Beyond Earth release date announced
All this and listener feedback.
Tags: Activision · Episode · FPS · Industry News · Podcast · Show Notes · Simulations
July 11th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This week’s podcast finally reveals the winner of the E3 Swag Bag. The episode is packed full of show, including a Gaming Flashback about Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and the Gaming History celebrating Donkey Kong‘s 33rd birthday.
The news includes:
- Another EA exec explains why mobile Dungeon Keeper suffered
- PS4 fails to inspire Japanese market
- Former Epic director Bleszinski unretires to reveal Project Bluestreak
- Divinity: Original Sin developer turned off global chat to silence trolls
- Bartle: “Free-to-play has a half-life“
All this plus the Question of the Week: “Have online players caused you to quit playing that session?”
Tags: electronic arts · Episode · Industry News · MMO · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · RPG · Show Notes
July 5th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 3 Comments
This is the final week of the E3 Swag Bag giveaway, which includes a The Sims 4 bag, a The Sims 4 T-shirt, The Sims 4 sunglasses, and some other goodies like a Dragon Age: Inquisition T-shirt, a Farming Simulation 2014 cow, and so on. Paul is unavailable this week but Jordan’s wife Jennifer guest hosts, with the famed Kingdom Hearts being the Gaming Flashback.
This episode also includes the following news items:
- Report: PS Vita no longer available at major retailers
- No women allowed at upcoming Hearthstone tournament
- Lindsay Lohan files suit over GTA V allegedly using her likeness
- Sources: Crytek UK’s staff no longer going to work
- Riot closing League Of Legends’ public chat
And once again, the Question of the Week: “What was your biggest takeaway from E3?”
Tags: Editorial · Episode · GTA · Industry News · MOBA · Podcast · Show Notes · Sony · Vita
June 27th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
The E3 Swag Bag contest is still going on, while Paul, Jordan and Jonah discuss the latest in videogame industry news.
This week’s news includes:
- Nintendo loses Wii patent lawsuit to Philips
- PlayStation Now beta gets six new games, but those high prices remain
- Crytek claims it’s doing fine, despite rumors
- Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty heading to Xbox One with ID@Xbox
- Google announces virtual reality app Cardboard
All this and Listener Feedback. The contest question is still up: “What was your biggest takeaway from E3?”
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Nintendo · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · xbla · Xbox One
June 20th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 6 Comments
Jonah returns from attending E3 last week, as Jordan is a sick latecomer into the podcast. Jonah and Paul relate his near-disaster loss of his iPad Air, while Jordan does his best Don LaFontaine impressions in this episode which is 50% longer than normal.
The news discussed includes:
- Hirshberg: Console transition pains not a bad problem to have
- Destiny may possibly come to Windows PC
- Nintendo’s top designer has “uneasiness” about virtual reality
- How the Xbox One’s 10% GPU increase works without Kinect
- PS4, Xbox One seeing much higher digital download attach rates
In addition to the news, there’s Listener feedback, and even better, a new contest to win an E3 Swag Bag – listen in to find out how to win (US listeners only, sorry.)
Tags: E3 · Editorial · electronic arts · Episode · FPS · Industry News · MMO · Nintendo · PlayStation 4 · Podcast · Show Notes · Xbox One
June 6th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · 1 Comment
It’s the last podcast before E3 2014 starts on Monday. Jonah is still ravaged by the flu, while Paul’s ghost haunts the podcast.
The news this week includes:
- Watch Dogs sells 4 million in first week
- Xbox One getting 34 new apps
- Sony discontinues the PSP in Japan
- Take-Two CEO skeptical of Oculus’ broad appeal
All this and Listener Feedback as well as a new Question of the Week: “How much info do you try to glean from E3 reports?”
For whatever reason, the file is not working. To listen to the podcast, use this player:
Tags: Episode · Industry News · Podcast · PSP · Show Notes · Sony · ubisoft · Xbox One
May 30th, 2014 by jonahfalcon · No Comments
Thanks to the influenza bug ravaging the United States right now, there’s no podcast this week. Check us next week for our pre-E3 podcast, however.