Nintendo 3DS Gets Price Slashed

The Nintendo 3DS has struggled since its launch, and Nintendo has announced a severe price cut of $80 to $169.99, down from $249.99. The price cut will be implemented on August 12, 2011.

If you bought your 3DS before August 12, the 3DS Ambassador Program will offer 3DS owners 20 free digital titles.

According to the press release:

“These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program.”

The free downloadable titles will be released in two stages:

  • Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.
  • By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Let us know if the cut to $170 will influence you to pick up a 3DS, or if it’s just too much – or if the games you’re waiting for have yet to be released.

[UPDATE: “Never in Nintendo’s history have we lowered prices to such an extent, less than half a year since the product launch,” [Nintendo CEO Saturo] Iwata said. “But we have judged that unless we move decisively now, there is a high possibility that we will not see many of our customers enjoying a Nintendo 3DS.” ]

0 thoughts on “Nintendo 3DS Gets Price Slashed”

  1. … wow! so the 3DS is tanking.
    Unfortunately for Nintendo, I am quite a PC fanatic, so no, it won’t influence my decision of not buying one.

    Offering games as compensation for the people who bought the system while the price was high is actually a move that I admire.

  2. If I weren’t trying to save money for a better car this would be one of the things on my list to buy. If I were going to buy one, I would buy one before the 11th. Seems like 20 free games is well worth the eighty bucks. I’m sure the early adopters are smiling ear to ear right now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

Episode 422: Pop CultureEpisode 422: Pop Culture

This week’s a lot of discussion of comic book movies, including the upcoming “Captain America: Civil War”. In fact, it dominates most of the podcast. However, there is some discussion of video games.

This week’s news includes:

  • Free money suddenly showed up in some people’s Steam accounts
  • “Obviously there’s going to be another Borderlands,” says Gearbox
  • Rumor: Nintendo NX to be officially revealed this or next week
  • Rumor: Xbox One upgrade under development at Microsoft

Question of the Week: “Would you buy a updated console like the PlayStation 4.5 or Xbox One and a Half?”

Episode 472: Peggling PegglesEpisode 472: Peggling Peggles

Last week’s episode was torpedoed by audio issues (who knows, maybe they’ll come back in a outtakes episode), so this week returns with half old news and half new news. The Gaming Flashback returns with a vengeance with the classic Popcap game Peggle — which came out while Gaming Podcast debuted!

This week’s new/old news includes:

  • Atari’s ‘PC technology-based’ Ataribox will echo NES Classic, crowdfunding campaign coming
  • PC release of Classic action-RPG Ys Seven announced
  • Possible Xbox One X wireless module passes through FCC
  • New trademark sparks rumours of ‘Nintendo 64 Classic’ console release

Also, there’s a Question of the Week — listen in and let us know what you think.

Episode 305: Duct TapeEpisode 305: Duct Tape

Paul and Jordan realize the brilliance of duct taping a flashlight to a gun barrel, while more Doctor Who fodder was recorded for a future outtakes episode. Jonah and Paul also express amazement there’s no Sugar Race racing based on the arcade title found in Wreck-It Ralph. Finally, the podcast eulogizes Roger Ebert.

The news for the week includes:

  • Disney shuts down LucasArts, cancels Star Wars 1313, Star Wars: First Assault
  • Thief to feature “classic mode”, removing all assists
  • Microsoft has a clear path to developing Killer Instinct after an agreement with Fox
  • The Witcher 3 confirmed to be DRM-free
  • Bethesda confirms “new version of Doom 4” being worked on, Rage 2 cancelled

There’s also Listener Feedback, and the Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm contest is still open – a winner will be announced next week.