Phil Harrison’s Building a 100 Million Dollar Franchise

Once upon a time, Activision Blizzards CEO Bobby Kotick kicked a few franchises to the curb: Riddick and Ghostbusters. No doubt, this was a result of the Activision and Blizzard merger requiring some resources to the merged together while others were cut from the lineup. Phil Harrison, the new big suit at Atari/Infogrames has raised these little birds from the ashes with a dream to build them into 100-million dollar franchises.

While Bobby Kotick said the titles, “don’t have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million dollar franchises,” Phil Harrision sees it as a personal challenge to prove him wrong.

“What Bobby, perhaps unhelpfully said, was that those games were franchises which wouldn’t make $100m of revenue and generate sequels. If that’s his benchmark, then fine — and we’d love to aspire to the same benchmarks. But you know what? I would love to turn Ghostbusters into a $100m franchise, just to prove him wrong.” (1up)

In many ways, this is the difference in attitudes from a large firm compared to a smaller firm with strong goals and a vision for success. Activision Blizzard is big now, perhaps the biggest publisher in the industry, they can’t be bothered with minuscule 80-million dollar franchises. Others, like Atari, strive to take a title from nothing to something of greatness. Granted, Atari’s failed in a lot of franchises, but with their new ex-Sony executive behind the helm things could turn around and this might be the first step.

Most of the best game franchises in existance today started from nothing but a dream. Big publishers don’t have time to dream, they’re too busy making money off the fanboys of their current franchises.

0 thoughts on “Phil Harrison’s Building a 100 Million Dollar Franchise”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

Bejeweled Twist Launched, Casualites RejoiceBejeweled Twist Launched, Casualites Rejoice

After four years of development, Popcap lit up Seattle Monday night with the launch of Bejeweled Twist sparing no expense to show off their new casual game. It took four years to complete but Popcap isn’t going to release a game until it’s perfect. You won’t play it until they believe it is a game their mom would love.

“Popcap builds games for people, not demographics,” says CEO David Roberts. At the launch the founders, John Vechey, Brian Fiete and Jason Kapalka talked about the casual game market while the “Gem Girls” walked around looking sexy and flashy. Roberts talked about the casual game industry and forecasts it growing to become an $8 billion market — not too shabby for USD $19.99 games.

Downloads of Bejeweled, of course, show no signs of stopping and Popcap explained that 40% of their revenue comes from the old concepts of “Diamond Mine.” Phil Spencer, Microsoft Game Studios’ General Manager, hopped on stage and explained how Microsoft saw Popcap’s vision in their Diamond Mine flash game and suggested a rename to Bejeweled, the founders hated the name but took the big companies suggestion on the change.

Since then, we’ve had many folks attempt to clone and replicate the success in Popcap’s flagship product. Complete with open bar, Gem Girls, camera flashes and glitter this game launch shows the growing casual games industry the great power and momentum of “simple” casual games.

Nothing about Bejeweled Twist is simple. The game play of Bejeweled Twist aggregates all the knowledge Popcap has acquired over the last seven years to design one blockbuster title. From classic Bejeweled to Chuzzle to Peggle, the game takes pieces of each successful title and combines the game play, sounds, graphics and modes into a product that will bring casual gaming to a new level. Bejeweled Twist is going to be the new bar to reach in the industry in terms of addictive game play and a unified casual vision.

Stay tuned for the full review as we get deep into the full features of Bejeweled Twist. Special thanks to Dale North from Destructoid for hanging out for some drinks during the after party.

Episode 738: StalkeredEpisode 738: Stalkered

No Gravatar

If you want to watch the live version of the podcast, check the video above.

Google to sell Chrome AND be banned from re-entering the browser market for five years, recommends US Department of Justice, Stalker 2 sells over a million copies, Steam has changed its policy on DLC content and season passes, so now players are entitled to proper compensation if future plans fall through (“Customers will be offered a refund for the value of unreleased DLC”), and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth won’t receive any DLC.

The news includes:

  • PlayStation Portal update adds cloud gaming support in beta, no PS5 required
  • Path of Exile 2 early access has a 25-hour campaign
  • Dragon Quest 3 Remake producer wants to give Final Fantasy 6 some HD-2D love

Let us know what you think.

The post Episode 738: Stalkered first appeared on Gaming Podcast.

First PlayStation 3 Greatest Hits GamesFirst PlayStation 3 Greatest Hits Games

It’s that time in the life-cycle of the PlayStation 3 where a few of their hit titles go into “classic” game mode, which translate to a price drop. We saw this with a few games like Kameo on the Xbox 360 a year or so after the launch of the console.

The first games said to be going “classic” or, as Sony calls it, “Greatest Hits” will be: Motorstorm, Warhawk and Resistance: Fall of Man. The rumored date is July 27th, as it’s part of a print ad which boasts the new price tag of USD $30.00 for the titles, these games, currently, are USD $59.99.

More than likely this will be one of the minor E3 announcements to spread a bit more love for the PlayStation 3. The games are too expensive considering the console investment, having a few games you can buy for a nice price makes the console a bit more attractive. They are also the games the PS3 is best known for which doesn’t hurt either.

(Thanks, PS3Fanboy)