Episode 402: One and a Half Episodes

This episode is so long, we actually had to cut on of the stories that went too long. We get some listener feedback for Scott as well.

The news includes:

  • EA data leak on Pastebin exposes emails and passwords
  • Adobe confirms major Flash vulnerability
  • Report: Nintendo’s next platform NX combines console and handheld
  • Remaining Batman Arkham Knight Season Pass content revealed
  • EA: Remakes happen when you’re ‘out of ideas
  • Bandai Namco pulls plug on Rise of Incarnates
  • Analyst: Preorders drive more sadness than anticipation

Let us know what you think.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

Gaming Podcast 157: Don’s Angry RantGaming Podcast 157: Don’s Angry Rant

This weeks gaming podcast brings us some recent news articles while also focusing the history and flashbacks on play-by-mail games. We’re looking at Diplomacy and discussing this weeks comments. The week in news includes:

Don’s with us in studio this week and goes on a tear about iPhone Monopoly, requiring many censor beeps. We’re asking a new question of the week: ESRB – What is your ratio to TV/Movies for electronic entertainment?

Episode 464: EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II plansEpisode 464: EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II plans

Since the podcast recording last Wednesday had audio issues and the news was, frankly, boring, the crew decided to record a new 464th episode on Easter Sunday, after some more interesting stuff was announced near the end of the week. That, and Scott expresses his enthusiasm for Thimbleweed Park, the spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle, using a SCUMM-like interface.

This week’s news items include:

  • Diving into Project Scorpio’s backwards compatibility, 4K, VR, and 1080p support
  • Nintendo discontinues the NES Classic Edition
  • It looks like Star Wars: Battlefront II will ditch the Season Pass

All that and some Listener Feedback.

Michael Pachter Says Wii HD Will LaunchMichael Pachter Says Wii HD Will Launch

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter is “absolutely convinced” we’ll see a Nintendo Wii HD by 2011. What makes him so sure? In short, Nintendo will start to look bad if their console is said to be “for your mom” instead of for gamers.

What they’ve done, so far, is show the industry there is more market than just hardcore gamers. They’ve also convinced many of us that only hardcore gamers actually buy games. Nintendo says they’re selling games, we’ve just not seen any real evidence of that outside of their own first party titles.

“Nintendo has to overcome that [lack of graphics power],” said Pachter. “A Wii HD would really position Nintendo well, which is why I’m absolutely convinced there is a Wii HD coming. Businesswise, they can’t have people saying that their machine is a toy for my mom.” (gamedaily)

Nintendo obviously doesn’t to be the focus of a “your mom” joke outside of being able to boast huge sales figures. Selling the console into homes has definitely raised the awareness of their brand to gamers and non-gamers alike. Now, it seems, Nintendo is going to have to “grow up” and get with the high definition graphics crowd… by 2011.

Would you re-buy a Wii if it was in HD? It’s also important to note Prachter believed Take-Two would become EA and was “convinced” of it. That didn’t happen. Will this?