Episode 534: Epic Exclusive

There was a lot of shocking news in the past week — unfortunately, Jonah was at PAX East, so last week’s episode ended up not being published. But there’s still more news this week.

The news includes:

  • Borderlands 3 might be an Epic Store exclusive
  • Videogame news subreddit closes for 24 hours to protest bigotry
  • John and Brenda Romero working with Paradox on new strategy IP
  • Sony unveils PSN refund policy

Let us know what you think.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post

Episode 352: Get Ready for E3 AgainEpisode 352: Get Ready for E3 Again

It’s the last podcast before E3 2014 starts on Monday. Jonah is still ravaged by the flu, while Paul’s ghost haunts the podcast.

The news this week includes:

  • Watch Dogs sells 4 million in first week
  • Xbox One getting 34 new apps
  • Sony discontinues the PSP in Japan
  • Take-Two CEO skeptical of Oculus’ broad appeal

All this and Listener Feedback as well as a new Question of the Week: “How much info do you try to glean from E3 reports?”

For whatever reason, the file is not working. To listen to the podcast, use this player:

Episode 666: Nintendo Hentai BanEpisode 666: Nintendo Hentai Ban

This week is plagued by the Mark of the Beast, but next week’s will be a giant landmark, too. No Gaming Flashback, but a lot of legal happenings in the past week.

The news includes:

  • USB-C charging ports will be required by law in the EU for most portable tech from 2024
  • NetherRealm’s next game won’t be revealed during Mortal Kombat anniversary events
  • Cyberpunk 2077 sequel is why there’s only one expansion, says dev
  • Nintendo has updated eShop rules on adult content, publisher says

Let us know what you think.

Will Wright is Right: E3 is DeadWill Wright is Right: E3 is Dead

Imagine that, a well known game developer finally says what everyone has been thinking, “it’s the walking dead.” Will Wright, famous for TheSims, SimCity and upcoming Spore believes E3 is in a state now where we’ll never see the old E3 and we’ll never accept the slimmed down anorexic thing we’re getting now.

End result is simple: it’s time to move on and create a new event and begin our arms race anew. Or, bring a version of the Game Convention over here from Europe and allow a new convention group to see what they can do with it, booth babes and all.

It’s hard to argue with the sheer amount of money that was spent to “compete” at a PR level with each major publisher and console maker. However, allowing E3 to die and starting a brand new design means people will be able to think ahead of “what’s to come” before re-igniting the exact same brand under a new name. We need something as exciting and invogorating without the massive hommoraging of cash.

(Thanks, GameStooge)